Today’s biggest challenges are global warming and poverty: WeForest has a very simple solution for both. Planting trees restores the planet’s natural resources while providing social justice: planting bio-diverse and indigenous forests in tropical countries cools our climate and provides jobs for women and enables them to send their children to school. WeForest is an international non-profit association with following mission: create and promote a pioneer movement in large scale sustainable reforestation.
Bill Liao, co-founder of WeForest is also "Special Envoy for Sustainable Development and the Environment of St. Kitts & Nevis" and was asked by Prime Minister Denzil Douglas to attend Copenhagen COP15 as an official party. The idea of WeForest in 2008 came out of a thorough search for scientific evidence and provided a feasible, realistic and actually quite simple solution to the urgent issue of global warming, which was first presented at that event. Marie-Noëlle Keijzer met Bill in 2009 and they decided to transform this wonderful idea into an NGO. WeForest was established in Belgium in 2010 as a VZW/ASBL (non profit association).The powerful business model of using trees as a currency for companies to engage their millions of customers was enhanced in 2014 when technology was used for the first time by brands to directly distribute the trees to their customers.
Our team of 20 professionals is spread over 3 continents and 12 countries sharing the same commitment for a better world, half of this team is volunteering (part-time or ad-hoc).
- WeForest values accountability and hires Deloitte every year to audit the accounts.
- The quality of the project reporting is why over 140 companies have already trusted WeForest: twice a year all active partners receive a thorough update on ‘their’ trees.
- All sponsorships (> 10,000 trees) are featured on the WeForest website.
- Donations (tax deductible, without VAT) cannot be promoted according to the Belgian VAT ruling ; only the logo will appear on the WeForest website.
- Certified projects by Plan Vivo: 1 of the planting sites (India) is certified and a second one (Burkina Faso) is in process.
More about WeForest